Common Bone And Joint Conditions
Our body has more than 200 joints to connect as many as 200 bones that we have. However, we rarely contemplate as to how this mechanism works. There are some conditions that risk the proper working of this natural network of bones and joints.
Board certified orthopedic surgeons Dr. Steven C. Thomas and Dr. Gregory T. Bigler provide orthopedic treatments to patients in Las Vegas, Nevada and greater Pahrump, Bullhead City, Lake Havasu, and Mesquite, NV.
Osteoarthritis is one of the most common joint disorders that occurs when your cartilage between two joints begins to wear down. As a result of this, your bones will come in contact thereby rubbing each other. This results in swelling and stiffness. Generally, almost everyone shows some symptoms by the age of 70.
Symptoms of osteoarthritis
- Excessive swelling and joint pain
- Stiff joints
Causes of osteoarthritis
- Osteoarthritis is hereditary. If anyone in your family has it, chances are that you might have it as well.
- Obesity or overweight
- Fractures and joint injuries
- Physical activities that involve a direct impact on the joints
Prevention of osteoarthritis
- Refrain from using your painful joints frequently
- Be healthy and keep your body fit
- Enhance your muscles around weight-bearing joints
Gout typically affects your joint in the foot or ankle. This is a painful condition observed by men during their middle-age and women during their old age.
Symptoms of gout
- Severe swelling and painful joint
- Typically observed during the night
Causes of gout
- Abnormal blood levels of uric acid
- Alcohol, meat, or seafood can start an attack. In addition to that, organ meats such as liver are also found to cause gout.
- Gout is also associated with the consumption of diuretics or “water pills”
Prevention of gout
- Monitoring your diet and avoiding foods that worsen gout
- Seeking medical attention and taking prescribed medications
Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease that causes inflammation of the joints and the neighboring tissues. Most commonly observed during the middle age, there is not a specific age group that observes the disease the most.
Symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis
- Morning stiffness lasts more than an hour
- Pain and swelling of limb-joints
Cause of rheumatoid arthritis
Even though the exact cause of Rheumatoid Arthritis is unknown, the disease is associated with infection, genes, and hormone changes.
Prevention of rheumatoid arthritis
There’s no specific treatment for rheumatoid arthritis.
- Refrain from tobacco products, as they are known to worsen the condition.
- Seek medical attention as early treatment can prevent the joint from getting damaged.
Bursitis is a medical condition that is observed as a result of swelling or irritation of a fluid-filled sac called a bursa. Bursa acts as a cushion between tendons, joints, and muscles.
Symptoms of bursitis
- Pain and tenderness while pressing the joints
- Stiffness while moving the affected joint
- Redness, warmth, and swelling over the joint
Cause of bursitis
- A sudden change in activity level
- Bursitis is also associated with trauma, rheumatoid arthritis, and gout
- In some cases, the exact cause cannot be found
Prevention of bursitis
Avoid repetitive physical activities that cause discomfort in your joints. Board certified orthopedic surgeons at Thomas & Bigler Knee & Shoulder Institute provide orthopedic treatments to patients in Las Vegas, Nevada and greater Pahrump, Bullhead City, Lake Havasu, and Mesquite, NV.
Contact Board Certified Surgeons Dr. Bigler or Dr. Thomas at the Knee and Shoulder Institute in Las Vegas, NV to Schedule an Appointment:
If you would like to schedule an appointment or learn more about the Knee and Shoulder Institute procedures & treatments performed by Las Vegas, Nevada board-certified surgeons Steven C. Thomas, MD and Gregory T. Bigler, MD. Contact the office today click here.
Serving patients from and around greater Las Vegas, Lake Havasu, Bullhead City, Mesquite, Pahrump, Nevada.